Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Minas Tirith Done... For Now


Once again, I am very tired.

I am trying to write something because I should. This is one of those times where the desire to write is greater than the ability to write. I can't use lack of topics as an excuse either. I have actually been doing semi-interesting stuff lately. I was building a castle at work.

Here's a slideshow of some of the pics.: Minas Tirith Slideshow

Probably because my constant frustration while working on it, I am actually receiving verbal credit for my efforts. Some of the time, I think I didn't put forth much effort. I didn't create the structure. The I rememebr I did nearly everything else. Most of the detail was me. I carved all the pointy crenelations on the tops of the walls. Ok, I didn't do all of them, maybe 90%. All the good ones are me though. Granted, I used a hotwire and a stencil, but each one is only about 8 inches in length. I lost count on my actual number. I even put most of them on. If there is a lot of repetitive, annoying work, I did it.

I only painted a handful of models at the start of the project. At the time, we weren't sure what we were undertaking. My coworker, Tim, took my finished models and finished them better, so that they actually looked good. He is the store's main painter, so it makes sense.

We initally built the thing for Games Workshop's Games Day Baltimore. It was a big hit apparently. I don't know first hand since I was pulling a double covering for my boss, who was down there. The store wound up snagging two awards: Best Lord of the Rings Club Table; and Best Overall Club Table. The LotR one was almost a gimmie in that there were only 3 other contestants. One of which was using an idea our store used at last year's Games Day. The Overall winner is pretty good though.

Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with the castle since it is back. The crew that went to Baltimore showed up at closing with it. Last minute is their specialty. Currently, my boss has to figure out how to put it into the window display. There will be some construction because the castle is way too big at the moment. We will have to basically remodel the whole area behind the counter. This will not make me happy, which is pretty much par for the course.

At least there are awards to accompany the huge thing in the window.

2 comments:

LCB said...

it look so much bigger here than the pics from in the store! amazing job Kev, i know i said it before but it truly is!

Anonymous said...

looks awesome. Congrats!