Wednesday, August 27, 2008

HBO's Preacher laid to rest


I am annoyed and a little pissed.

From Newsarama:

Preacher series ‘dead at HBO’
Author Kevin Melrose

Fans won’t be seeing an adaptation of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s Preacher on HBO.

Mark Steven Johnson, who wrote the pilot and was set to serve as an executive producer, tells Comics Continuum that the new head of the cable network thought the series “was just too dark and too violent and too controversial.”


“It was a very faithful adaptation of the first few books, nearly word for word,” says Johnson, who directed Daredevil and Ghost Rider. “They offered me the chance to redevelop it but I refused. I’ve learned my lesson on that front and I won’t do it again. So I’m afraid it’s dead at HBO.”

Plans for the one-hour TV series, announced in November 2006, were welcome news for fans who had been disappointed when a previous attempt to adapt Preacher as a feature film was abandoned.


Johnson says there are efforts to give a movie another try: “I’ve heard someone is in the process of getting the rights to turn it into a feature film. I hope that happens. But I hope it happens as a series of movies as one movie couldn’t do it justice.”


This is upsetting. Preacher is a fantastic comic series. I have just about all the issues from when they first started coming out. Is it violent, hell yes. I just don't see how HBO can put on shows like The Sopranos, Rome, and Deadwood, and be turned off by something like Preacher.

Preacher is the story of a man who lost his faith in God, and sets out to find Him when he discovers that God has left heaven. There are many things other than that, like the preacher being possessed by a spirit that grants him the ability to have anyone do as he says... "Go fuck yourself" has a literal meaning. There is also the preacher's assassin girlfriend and the third part of the group is a vampire. I know in those words, it sounds kind of corny, but it all works.

One of the only shining points is that Garth Ennis' The Boys has been optioned as well. Of course, just about everything in comics is being optioned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dan sent me this info yesterday. just finishing the series i was kinda upset about this too but i have to say im not surprised they chose not to do it either.

The Learned Pig said...

Dude... this shit woulda been so perfect on HBO. I am bummed out... but I'd rather they abandon it then do it half-assed.

A movie will not work, that I am sure... unless they were just gonna do the Saint of Killers movie... but they already made that, its called Unforgiven.