Friday, March 20, 2009

3 things on my mind

I am feeling better. It took a solid 13 or so hours of sleeping to rid most of the sickness. Now, I just have the aftermath symptoms to get expelled.

Sadly, I have to work this weekend. I usually don't have to work on Saturday, but I have to make an exception this weekend. My coworker and he fiance are heading to the mountains for a get away. I thought I would be nice and cover his shift. Thankfully, it is only a morning shift till around 3PM. One of the only problems is that I have to cover a painting class, alone. There would normally be help, but the store is also running a tournament in another storefront, so the bossman will be over there for the most part. I just hope the kids realize that I don't paint. They are usually pretty good teaching each other anyway.

I started trying to get more people to add to my Joker sketchbook. On of the customers at the store has it at the moment. He asked if it was ok to have him look like the Heath Ledger Joker. I told him just to do whatever he wanted. That's the whole point of the thing. I want artists' interpretation of who/what the Joker is. Sure, he is just a comic character, and some people envision certain artists' renditions as the actual Joker. Ultimately, I just want whatever comes from the artist doing the drawing at the moment his/her pen hits paper. The most recent addition was from another customer at the store, Don Downie. He's a huge Green Lantern fan, so he drew Joker getting a yellow, Sinestro Corps ring. It even has a purple glitter pen coloring of Joker's suit. It's pretty cool and definitely fits the cartoony style. While Don is an artist, his main trade is jewelry. You can view some of his work here: Spiral Acorn Jewelry.

Currently, I am listening to part of the Watchmen soundtrack. Specifically, Pruit Igoe & Prophecies by the Philip Glass Ensemble. I like the piece. I feel it fits within the movie and evokes a lot of emotion. It's the type of song and music that gets me thinking. Part of it inspires me to write. Granted, it doesn't particularly help in writing random things on a blog, but maybe something more creative. I do have something rattling in my brain that wants to get out. I just have to give it the proper outlet for escape. That just means dedicating time to it.

5 comments:

Eric said...

painting class as in... like painting a tiny warhammer figure?

also, are you ever gonna post scans of the sketchbook? This is a very cool idea, it would be interesting to see everyones take on it

LackeyPA said...

yes, a painting class for painting tiny warhammer figures. There are usually a round 10 or so kids who show. It's a free class and the normal guy that does it teaches the kids some techniques.

Oh, I'll post scans eventually. I just want to have the artists' permission and make sure I know how to scan it properly.

Anonymous said...

Your forever covering shifts....stop being so nice...blow someones mind once in a while and say NO!

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to Rainbow.. You are a gentleman and a scholar to cover the shifts of you coworkers..
oh.. and thanks for covering my shift. I hear you actualy did some teaching.

The Learned Pig said...

Big Kev - I want in on this Joker sketchbook. Let me know when my turn comes around... I may have to kick some multi-media jimpse to fully capture my interpretation. Yes.