Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Winter Quest Solo Adventure Part 1

As with most people in my area, I am pretty much done with dealing with snow for this season.

Some of the most recent snow days were messy, sure, but not tolerable. It has been exceptionally cold. This in turn makes snow fluffy. The snowflakes are like their own thing and are kind of like sand. Today presented a more terrible, ugly version of snow. The heavy wet stuff. The stuff of accidents and backaches.

I had a fairly average start to the day. Most times, snow doesn't really bother me while driving. I am not a hardcore driver, person. I have a sedan. No 4-wheel drive for me. I just have confidence and trust in my vehicle. Take things slow and careful. Be considerate of everything around you and try not to stop for fear of never starting again. This felt like one of those mornings. Don't rush to work. I'll get there when I get there.

Everything seems about what I was going to expect. A few daily commuters on the road going to their respective day jobs. We just took our time.About half way to work, the weather decided it had enough with pleasantries and turned against those of us on the road. The sky grew grayer, snow was coming down in large, wet clumps. The road was getting messy and slippery. Still, I trudged on. cautious as ever, but things were moving and not bad.

That was until I got to the top of the one large hill I need to climb. Thankfully, I was at the top of the hill and not the bottom. There were a few cars ahead of me stopped. Some were already attempting a three point turn to find another route. Turns out, there was just an accident. I didn't want to take an alternate route. I was fairly close to where I needed to be already and I definitely doubt wherever I went would be any better.

So I waited.

It wasn't really that long. I was already late for work. In a few minutes, the first car in the accident started to move. It actually seemed to have decent traction and maneuverability for only having one working front wheel. The SUV that was also involved faired a little better in damage, but that car couldn't drive worth a damn. I thought it was going to hit someone else just trying to drive away. Thankfully, it didn't and I was on my way to the mall.

I had a brief scare at the next intersection because I had to stop at a red light. Going on the green turned out to be a skill challenge to keep my car from moving laterally. I passed. Things were all right. The parking lot was garbage for driving. I made it to where I thought a spot would be. Really, I parked next to someone who was already there. It was a pick your own spot day. Nothing was plowed, so there was no telling where the lines to park were. I made it though.

Then one of the most boring work days happened.

No comments: