Friday, August 15, 2008

Ahh, Saturday

Well, the weekend is now upon us. It is bearing down on the end of the summer. Many people are clamoring to get in the bar-b-ques and parties before the brisk wind of fall sweeps in. You know fun things people do.

Here's what I figure. I usually don't work weekends. In fact, I haven't worked a steady weekend since I was in high school. Somehow, working retail for the better part of 6 years, I have avoided spending weekends behind a counter. It is a rare occurrence that I work on a Saturday. The last time I worked a Saturday, my boss headed to a convention. Of course this led to it being one of the more annoying weekends at the store. People subconsciously stick around and annoy me when they know I shouldn't be there. Of course, a good friend gives me a call to hang out that night. Not only have I not seen him in a long time, but he wants me out because someone who I haven't seen in a longer time is coming out as well. I couldn't make it out because of work... when I normally wouldn't be there.

So, I have to work again this Saturday. Sure, my co-worker, Tim, thinks it will be easy. Boardgames and such were suggested to pass the time. I know that's not going to happen though. Everyone and their brother will show up. The will be loud, annoying, and trying to get in as much fun and late nights as possible before high school kicks back in. At some point, a friend will call me up. I will either not answer because my store is a bomb shelter and blocks all signals, or I will get an invite somewhere. It will more than likely be someone I haven't seen in a while. For God to play a cruel joke, it will be a girl. They will want to meet up in the city. I will probably be tired from all the boardgames and high school humor. It will take all my energy not to strangle some teenager. Somehow I will have to find the willpower to start my car. The divine would have to descend to grant me the strength to make it into the city.

This weekend will not be fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude ive been working saturdays for like 10 years..I hated it for the longest time. I just hate when theres fun things on a friday night and I'm lame and have to get up early for work the next day