Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Braid


I have been playing Braid lately. It's a game that is you can via the Xbox Live Marketplace. It made some recent news headlines throughout the videogame industry. apparently, people didn't like it's price point.

I originally played the free trial. Xbox 360 is having a special promotion called the Summer of Arcade, or some-such. Basically, they are releasing a high-profile game every week for 5 weeks. The first was Geometry Wars 2, which is good and received some critical acclaim. Braid hit the second week. People (i.e. reviewers and gamer-snobs) loved it when they saw it at E3 and other expos. There came an uproar when to purchase the entire game, it costs $15. Most arcade titles are about $10.

I bought it. I don't regret my decision. In fact, I even made a trip to Gamestop specifically to get the micro points needed. Micro points are the currency for the Xbox Marketplace. Mathematically, every 400 points is equivalent to $5. I also picked up Soul Caliber 4 and pre-ordered Fable 2, but they are stories for another time.

Still, Braid is beautiful. I wanted to play it because I wanted to be entered into the Summer of Arcade contest. If I download and at least play the trial version of all the games listed, I have the chance for a sweet prize pack, including an Xbox Elite system and 100,000 micro points. The gameplay for Braid is a platformer with puzzle elements. Every level manipulates time in a certain way. You can't die, and instead rewind time to before you died. The level design has obvious influences. One is even patterned on the original Donkey Kong. All of the backgrounds look like a watercolor painting. I think one of the main reasons I bought it was just to see all the different art elements.

As of now, I have not finished it. It frustrated me for a while. The puzzles can definitely be tricky. If you think the ledge looks just out of reach, it probably is, but there may be a way to it somehow. Trying to figure out the importance of every object on a level can be arduous. I completed the first level with little problem, but can't seem to figure out some of the second. It has a level of difficulty that will challenge anyone who enjoys stretching there mental limits.

I would definitly say everyone should give it a try. A free trial wouldn't hurt. I played through the trial as much as I could. It is certainly something to break-up the typical kill frenzy I deal with in most games I play.

Braid - Game Detail Page

No comments: