Friday, August 29, 2008

TheWB.com


I just finished watching the first episode of Firefly. The two hour pilot. At this point, I could say that I forgot how good the show was, but that would be lying. I know how good the show was, and is. Even though I have the complete series on DVD, I took the time and watched on the computer. There is a new site to compete with Hulu.com, and it is TheWB.com.

I saw a mention about the new web-based television experience from a podcast by G4. G4 tends to drop snigglets of information that I may find interesting. Anyway, with a modest commercial interruption, I watched the whole 80-something minute show. The only commercial was before the whole thing started, and I think it was for another show that can be watched on the site... The OC, I believe.

I am ignorant to most web-based video services. I personally don't want to sit in front of my computer for extended lengths of time. My couch is more comfortable, so the occasional thing I download on my hard-dive tends to get shifted to DVD so I can watch it with my feet up. My first foray into the web-tv was Hulu. A friend of mine used the service a buch because he didn't have a tv at the time, but had internet access through an un-blocked wifi port. It was the first time I ever saw the Emmy Award winning My Name Is Earl. After that and a few episdoes of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, it was an old wrestling movie called Body Slam with Rowdy Roddy Piper. I liked the concept, but didn't pay it much mind.

When I heard of TheWB.com's attempt at a similar program like Hulu, I decided to check it out. My usual Thursday night routine has amounted to watching Burn Notice when I get home from work around 10PM. Tivo is occasionally kind enough to record it if I get in late (last week it flubbed). Tennis was on this week instead. Normally, I would just play the Xbox 360, but I wasn't feeling it. Then I was going to watch Elvira: Mistress of the Dark while I read articles and what-not on the computer. I passed on that because I didn't want the Madonna of the Macabre to be my inital movie in my Horror-day season. I turn into a horror movie nut this time of year... but that is another story. Instead, I checked out TheWB.com to see what was there.

There are plenty of shows on there at the moment, Joss Whedon projects, like Firefly, Buffy and Angel are all represented. Friends and MADtv are even there. There is just plenty of things to choose from that fit things I may be interested it. Hell, I may even check out Veronica Mars because I never caught it on UPN when it was on.

So, in closing, I think I have a new site to visit when I am bored and there isn't anything on television. Granted, I can't burn it on DVD, but it certainly is cheaper than just buying DVDs. Now, I just have to wait for Smallville to get pass the first season so I can watch something that isn't freak-of-the-week.

No comments: