Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Mall

I hate working at a mall. It kills the trill of being there.

I remember when I was a kid that a trip to the mall was a fun experience. We rarely went, so any time we got a chance to go it was an experience. Most of the time I just wanted to check out the arcade. Still, later and later, as I grew up, I explored other areas, like the CD and Video stores. Later, came the videogame stores. Still, I liked being there because I knew the experience wasn't going to last. I was in the moment.

Now, I've worked there for about 2 and a half years, and the nostalgia is gone. I don't necessarily dread going. I do work there after all, and now I get paid to be there. Still, I get no thrill about anywhere in the mall now. Whether I am working or not, I don't like to be there. There is no excitement left. If there is something I want to buy, I know exactly were to go. There is no adventure left. When it comes to shopping, I usually want to spend as little time in the mall as possible. If I am out somewhere, it's a different story. Another mall is like methadone to me. The buzz is there for a bit, but it's still the same so I revert to not wanting to be there.

Thanks to the computer age, I usually know what comes out and when preplan most of my purchases. Sometimes I don't go into a store without a plan, but then I can't make a decision on what to get. The impulse buy section of my brain is on the fritz. It works sometimes and makes me buy things like, Plan 9 From Outer Space, but other than that, not much holds my interest while in a mall.

I guess the thing is that I don't really go any other place to buy things. I am trapped in the world of convience. I know the mall is more expensive than many other stores, but I don't have the other stores right outside my work's door. Even when I purposely push-off buying something to get it at a cheaper price in a non-mall place, I usually forget about what I wanted because it's months later. I just need to get out more.

I honestly do miss the experience of being thrilled to go to the mall. It's hard for me to go if I'm not already at or going to work. I'm already there most of the week. Going there for something on my day off, just seems pointless when I can just wait a day or two and save the trip. Malls are a trap.

No comments: