Monday, July 29, 2013

Missing Rock Band

I miss Rock Band nights.

There were times when friends needed no excuse to get together. That doesn't happen any more. I would just show up at a friends house and we would go from there. It could be simply playing NHL'94 on a SNES or watching some bootleg copy of Sleepers. Events just happened. They weren't coordinated and planned ahead of time.

That spontaneity doesn't happen anymore. There needs to be reasons to go see friends. Schedules need to be checked and filled in with the appropriate date and time. Sitters need to be found for those with offspring. Work needs to have priority over fun. Someone needs to confer with their spouse to make sure it's all right. Permissions need to be granted.

I don't remember the last time I played Rock Band. I miss it. I don't own it. I gathered all my knowledge and skill in it from playing over friends' places. I like playing it. It calls for some timing skill, but more importantly, fun. You can choose the song you want to play. Show off in front of your friends. Make a fool of yourself. Have fun.

Rock Band was one of those social games that were broken out to enhance a party. It may not be the reason for an event, but it as always a good catalyst for activity. It gave a group of people something to do. There is a social convention of sharing involved too. People like playing, but they like seeing other people enjoying what they are enjoying.

I was never the biggest fan of singing. Yes, I am a giant nerd and sing when I am alone. I have multiple playlists on my computer of songs I could potentially sing in karaoke. That doesn't happen though. I am a coward in that respect. Still, Rock Band has multiple instruments. Don't like singing because of stage-fright? Fine, play the guitar or drums. Take a crack at it. What is the worst you could do? Fail? There really isn't any penalty aside from having the opportunity to try again.

There were points where I got so used to certain songs and their rhythm, that I would throw a little showmanship in the "performance". Jump and dance while playing guitar, twirl the drumsticks while nodding my head to the beat. All good fun.

Things have changed though. I don't play anymore. The opportunity just doesn't appear. Friends have drifted for a variety of reasons: work, family, break-ups, new relationships. Things constantly change. Still, I look forward to doing it again. I look forward to smiles, and laughter. Actual, honest to God, fun. I have seen it before. I would like to see it again. Sooner, rather than later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HAHA, Hell yeah bootleg copy of Sleepers! Man, you have a memory.

I have an almost finished mix on the backburner.

September is still good BBQ weather.

What say you?