Friday, February 05, 2010

Blinded by Nature

I am distracting myself with just about anything I can at the moment. I should be writing though. Here is my attempt to actually get some shit done.

Well, I guess I should talk about the trip home from my friend's LOST party on Tuesday. Me being me, I was one of the last few to leave. Such is the way of Kevin. I am usually afraid to leave too early for fear of missing something important. Still, I walked out some time around 11:30 or so. I'm not exactly sure on the time, but it was late. I know I was in my car around midnight on the way home.

So, the trip goes like this. There is already a slight snowfall on the ground. It's making everything look pretty, like a movie set. Warm glow of street lights, reflecting snow, creating hazy rainbows of comfort. After a brief turnaround realizing every street I crossed was One Way in the opposite direction I needed to go, I eventually found myself on the proper roads and on my way home. I even passed a couple cop cars that had some unfortunate motorist pulled over. It was when I was almost on I-95 heading south, that I noticed something. I am behind a salt truck. I hate being behind trunks in general, like most people. In this weather, I dread it.

My car is not the best one out there. I love it though. For what I paid for it, it has lasted me, and treated me extremely well. I have no real qualms about my car. It does have it's flaws though. One such flaw is that it's windshield washer sprayer doesn't work. I don't know what the actual problem is. I don't think it's the sprayer, but rather the reservoir that holds the wash solution. I have filled it a couple times, and it is usually empty. There is probably a leak. Anyway, it doesn't seem like that should be a priority in the whole "send car to the shop" department. So, to counter cleaning my windows, I always wash my windows whenever I get gas and occasionally, when needed, I use a spray bottle with glass cleaner. I used to use glass cleaner, now I use windshield washer fluid in the bottle. It actually works better.

While on the highway, stuck behind a truck, I decided to attempt passing it while on the double-decker bridge. I did, but there was a price. The truck's back spray coated my windows. If it was just rainy, especially a hard rain, it wouldn't have been a problem. My wipers would have held their own. It was the temperature coupled with environment that blinded me. The back spray of the truck created a mist of small droplets of water that held dirt. It was when attempting to use my wipers that created a frozen dirt shield on my window. My back window was clear as crystal.

I was in the far left lane when this happened, of course. Even with so few cars on the road, I needed to navigate as quickly as possible with limited visibility over to the right side most lane for an exit. I nearly hit the side wall, and various other walls as I made my ext down one of the off ramps. Thankfully, the exit I chose was near where I grew up, so I knew the area. In fact, the last time I was there was for a car breakdown. I pulled off the road into a parking lot, and washed my windows as best I could with the spray bottle. It worked to a point.

To keep myself away from potentially other scary moments on the highway, I instead decided to travel the back-roads home. It was a longer trip, but at least nothing bad happened, even though I did traverse through Chester.

1 comment:

Eric said...

you shoulda hung out maaaaaaaaaaaan