Sunday, February 21, 2010

Filling in Sunday

I am being a giant nerd right now. Granted, I can't really escape the whole nerd thing, but I am overdosing at the moment.

I am listening to a Dungeons & Dragons podcast, flipping through a rule book for Warhammer 40K, and attempting to think of what models I want to build. I spent a good portion of last night discussing these things as well. I didn't even do it at work. Most of it was talked about at the bar.

The current D&D podcasts I have been watching are a good intro for people who would like to play the game. They are video podcasts, and involve a mixed group playing. The Dungeon Master (the guy who runs the game) works for Wizards of the Coast (D&D's publisher) as a creative director. All of the players are the writers of Robot Chicken from [adult swim] on Cartoon Network. One of the writers plays the new version of D&D, and another has played earlier versions, the rest of them are experiencing D&D for the first time.

I have a weird fascination with D&D and role-playing in general. Much like many of my other interests, it is something I like to know about, but rarely experience first hand. I don't play any RPG (role-playing game) currently. I have friends tat play, so I get the stories and happenings from them. It's a good conversation if you understand the code language. I still struggle with the people that attempt to discuss computer online RPGS (affectionately called MMORPGs). Terms like DPS and aggro are still foreign to me.

One of the funny things about the Robot Chicken D&D podcasts is that they are now coming with DM commentary. Much like a director's commentary on a DVD, the DM commentary is a voice over to help explain things that are going on. It's funny re-watching the first video and finding out that the initial planned game had to be scrapped and a new adventure needed to be created in hours. It's pretty interesting because the DM gives tips on how to run a game. Rule number 1: Wing it.

The Warhammer 40K stuff comes mainly from work. I have been at my job for over 7 years now. I don't have a set army for any of the games we sell. I haven't even played a full game, with the exception of Lord of the Rings. Fun fact: LotR is the game I personally have the least amount of models for, but have played the most (at 2 games). I do have models for some of our other games. Many of the younger crowd like talking about the games, and want me to play. Friends of mine outside of the shop are even playing 40K. So, I think it's about time I actually do something about it.

So, at this moment, I am glancing at the Olympics, listening to Smodcast (Kevin Smith's audio podcast... specifically the Too Fat To Fly episode), and trying to think of what army I want to build.

No comments: