Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cold, Tired, Rambling... What else is new.

It is incredibly cold in my house. I worked a long time. 13 hours at the job with almost all of it on my feet moving around. Thank Christ I remembered to wear my sneakers today. I even had that discussion with myself in the morning. I sat at the edge of my bed and contemplated what I should wear. I then remembered that since it's new book day, that I would probably be standing a while filling subs and walking to the counter. Turns out I was right. Go me.

It is actually a little painful to type. After such a long day, became extremely tired. With the pre-work routine, I stopped at Wawa. I grabbed some standard breakfast stuff, but also opted for an energy drink that I swore I was going to need. I didn't even really eat anything throughout the day. I had my Wawa Sizzli thing about an hour after I should, but a quick reheat in the microwave made it palatable. I sloshed the remaining hours sipping from a half gallon of iced tea. It was easier to get one of those then attempt to procure varied drinks, especially considering the cost. The only other nourishment was around 3 or so with a package of Nutter Butters. Then I didn't have anything. Pure will power got me through the day. I should be a damn Green Lantern.

Needless to say, I passed out shortly after I got home. Manwich was on the menu and I needed anything. It's surprising how great things taste when you haven't eaten anything in a while. I even had my energy drink from before. I knew I wanted to be semi-conscious to attempt this whole writing ordeal, but my body didn't agree. Even after drinking some of the magical wake-me potion, I proceeded to pass out at the computer... again. It's like this chair is my second bed. Thankfully, I am gifted with being able to sleep anywhere. I even used to fall asleep on my Big Wheel when I was a kid. Eventually, after sleeping through the local news and Letterman, I woke to Craig Ferguson's voice going over emails. At least I was awake, now, after the power nap and swigging the remainder of the energy drink.

The only problem I ran into was a topic to write about. I haven't had a solid topic for the 3 days I have done this. Granted, I guess you could say that the first post consisted of a topic, i.e. the premise of trying to write consistently. Throughout the day, I come across various things, but I tend to ignore them about 10 minutes after the moment passes.

I did read an article today that intrigued me. I picked up a copy of The Writer magazine in the vain hope that I might get bitten by a muse if I learn some techniques. Nothing has clicked yet, but the one article was about the key to good writing. In it the author, Randall Silvis, states that connecting to the reader is the most important job. I agree with this. for me the whole purpose of writing, especially fiction writing, is to have the reader enjoy what they are doing. Granted with technical writing there is a discourse for information, so I guess there are exceptions. Still, I liked the idea that stories are generally intended to be felt and not necessarily contemplated. Well, the main purpose is to be felt at least. I know that when I am reading something, I tend to stay more engrossed with it if it tugs at emotion rather than overly complicated cleverness.

I feel the same thing with music. If something I listen to just seems too processed or that the musician or writer/artist is trying to hard to convey their message, they probably aren't doing her job properly. Allegories exist because they entertain. Yes, they are created to show a current problem or to help people understand something, but at it's core things are better understood if the story is clear to the heart.

No comments: