Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Perchance to Dream

Crap. It's already after 2AM and I haven't gotten any writing in yet. Well, here it goes.

Today was a rather boring day in the life of me. I slept terrible through the night. I tossed and turned and dreamed. During one such dream, I was fighting with someone over something, I can't remember. What I can still remember, is waking from it to another dream.

I awoke on my couch in the house I grew up in at the time. Everything was dark. I hadn't realized it was still a dream yet. I tried to turn on the lamp next to my, but it wasn't working. I made my way from the couch and headed toward the door. For some reason, I didn't pay much mind that the door was open. It was even dark outside, an eerie gloom. I flicked the switches that normally light up the living room, and nothing. I tried the other switch for the upstairs hallway, and that didn't work either. I then thought that I may not be in here alone since the door was open. It was at that point that I stared into the blackness of the stars that led to my bedroom, and realized that this was going to turn into a nightmare.

I promptly woke myself up. I tried heading back to sleep, but my heart wasn't having it. It's racing and pounding kept my adrenaline pumping.

Work was fine today. No real complaints. I handled my responsibilities that usually happen on a Tuesday, like dealing with DC Comics and transfers to the other store. I spent most of the day with my co-worker, Greg. He told me that I need to see Hurt Locker. Also, I should see Taking Chance.

Apparently, Taking Chance is about a Marine that he knew when he was in Iraq. The story revolves around a Colonel in the Marines hearing about the death and actions that led to the death of the Marine, Chance. The Colonel personally transports the body to Chance's home. There is a ritual in the Corps that a Marine always brings a Marine home. The Colonel wrote a memoir about his experience with taking Chance and the response and support he received from the many people he came across. Basically, it was a tale that shows that the people here support the troops, even when the troops have no idea how they actually feel about them.

Oh, and Chance was apparently in Greg's battalion. Greg was ordered to remove about 5 guys form his platoon and put them in another. Chance was one that was moved. While the firefight waged that killed Chance in the South, Greg was a bit North in a firefight of his own.

I think it's crazy that I know a guy that was actually over there. I'm sure I probably know a few, but these types of things are strange to discuss. Whenever something military comes up, I usually run it by Greg first.

Other than that, I was going to go to a open mic night to see a coupe friend's perform. I was side-tracked over my friend's place, because I had to drop off a model for him. I wound up just staying there because people were driving like assholes on I-95, and I didn't want to search for parking downtown.

I wound up watching the end of Commando, Predator and a NWA Clash of the Champions from 1988 or something. There was some good discussions on various guy things, like making fun of people who weren't around to defend themselves. I even got into the NWA event. The main event had Ric Flair vs. Sting go to a No Contest after a 45 minute epic. The original Eddie Haskell, a Playmate and the older brother from the Wonder Years were in attendance for it. Still, it was a good wrestling match that definitely reminded me why I like wrestling.

Oh, and the open mic wound up getting canceled anyway.

Ok, I'm going to sleep now. I have work at 9AM till 10 PM. Fun time ahead.

No comments: