Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sometimes naps aren't great

I am not feeling good.

I spent the whole day feeling like crap from exhaustion. I decided it was a good idea to only get around 4 hours of sleep. I justified this with the heartfelt reasoning that I would take a nap after work to recharge my batteries. It turns out that sort of happened.

The whole day at work consisted trying to keep my self busy, or I would fall victim to narcolepsy. I got plenty of work done. I just didn't do anything that I was really planning on for the day. To start, I handled my usual transfers to the other store and a DC Comics order, but then I worked on an independent comic book order.

There is one, major comic book distributor in the industry, Diamond. They have the exclusive contract to distribute the 4 major publishers: DC Comics, Marvel, Image and Dark Horse. There are also plenty of independent comic companies that just solicit through Diamond. What I went through today was our major independent, smaller press distributor, Haven.

Haven used to be called Cold Cut. When Cold Cut folded, Haven purchased the warehouse and all and incorporated a whole new inventory system. The problem with dealing with Haven is the limited number of stuff I actually want to carry from them. Most of the stuff is also carried by Diamond, but Haven tends to keep more of it on hand.

For the better part of 4 hours, I had Haven's catalog on the computer while I took quick walks around the store to see if we needed any of the items. It was a lot of walking. Figure I needed to see what Haven had in stock, then I needed to remember if we carried it. The final part was legging it to see if we needed it. There is only a few companies that really get much attention from me through Haven. The main one being Slave Labor Graphics, for the Johny The Homicidal Maniac and Squee comics. The unfortunate thing is that they didn't have the ones in stock that we needed. Also, they don't carry any of the Lenore comics. My guess is since Lenore is getting reprinted by Titan Books, they can't carry the old issues of the comic.

The main comics I think I ordered were some Simpsons and Sonic the Hedgehog ones. Yes, Sonic comics sell really well for us. You would be surprised at how many we actually go through every month. I think more kids read the comic than play the video games.

The rest of the day was talking with my co-worker about Dragon Age: Origins and unpacking some shipments. It was midway through the comic shipment that I made a comment that I knew it was a day day when I didn't want to deal with comics anymore today. I pushed through. It also doesn't help that Diamond likes to screw up shipments on a weekly basis. We were missing a handful of things ordered and was instead shipped stuff we didn't order. Granted, the stuff shipped was probably valued more than the stuff ordered, but I knew the stuff I had ordered will sell.

When I finally got home, I made myself a sandwich, and eventually took a nap. It wasn't a comfortable nap considering I kept periodically waking up shivering a bit. I slept off and on for close to 4 hours. I even skipped dinner. Probably not the best move. I woke up with a pain in my stomach and a trip to the bathroom. It wasn't pleasant to say the least.

I just hope things feel better in the morning. I have a long ass day and could really use something positive.

No comments: